Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Honesty

I will be honest and say that I am sitting here in front of the computer with the children's huge (still)  basket of Halloween candy and I am digging through it from time to time to see if any chocolate remains.  It's yummy, I am enjoying it, and I only feel a smidge guilty for consuming sugar after sundown.  The kiddos gave Scott and I full blessings on eating their treasure trove, so I'm completely innocent of any and all charges of theft.

I woke up this morning at 5:30 am.  Now, in the interest of honesty, I should say that my goal for months has been to wake up at 5:30 am.  I set my alarm and I truly commit to actually getting out of bed the next morning.  I remind myself of how much more cheerful I am if I wake up to a silent household, how much more productive my days are, how nice it is to greet Scott when he comes in from work rather than dragging myself out of bed as he is sliding in.  But, each and every morning, my weak flesh has won out.  (Ohhh - my favorite kind of Twizzlers.The pull-and-peel ones.  Yum.)

So it was truly a stunning turn of events to have succeeded in actually waking up when I would like to this morning.  And, to be honest, I owe my new resolve to some rodent that either was attempting to get into our home or actually made it in and is now trapped in the walls.  All I know for certain is that a large-sounding-something awakened me at 5:30 on the dot with its manic scratching and what can only be described as a chewing noise.  My bets are on a squirrel, but it could be a rat.  Eeewww.   Scott never once heard it as he was sleeping today.  But, to be honest, Scott never hears anything while he's sleeping.  That is why his working night-shift is so perfect for us.  He sleeps through the sound we make living during the day, and I don't get offended that the kids only seem to be able to wake me up at night.  Why get offended when he isn't even here?  (I just grabbed a Whoppers in a desperate bid for chocolate.  I'm not a big fan of the Whoppers.  I think the malted part is kind of yicky.)  

I popped into our bedroom throughout the day and never heard my little friend again.  I inspected the outside of the house as well as I could with my feet planted firmly on the ground.  (Let's be honest - life is challenging enough without broken legs, wouldn't you agree?)  I went into the attic and didn't detect any new shufflings in our loose insulation.  So, perhaps it was a friendly little alarm clock sent by God to truly motivate me.  Because, honestly, I needed the motivation.  There is nothing like unexpected scratching in an otherwise quiet home when you are alone with your children to make you wake up quickly, efficiently, and thoroughly.   (I've moved over to Tootsie Rolls.  I'm getting desperate.  Companies have effectively delivered pizza, pasta, sandwiches, wings, and Chinese for decades.  Why can't they deliver chocolate?)

So, only tonight will decide if our the invader was a one time visitor or if he's here for a while.  Of course, if he's a squatter, then he'll have to go.  But if it was just a friendly little wake-up call, then I'm grateful.  And today, exactly how I had always discussed it in my head before going to sleep would happen,  went beautifully.  Honestly.

And, on a wonderful side note: Nox visits the vet tomorrow.  Snip-snip.




1 comment:

Cathy said...

The kids look so happy...they aren't even missing me...Boo Hoo Hoo...I was hoping to get to spoil them more since I moved closer...but their mother (Tacy) doesn't share them very well!