Tuesday, February 22, 2011

to the heart

Dawson is our 12 year old man-child. He constantly amazes me with his deep insights which are immediately followed by some disgusting, boy-style prank. It's just the way of the age, I'm sure.

Elyas moved into the boys room a few months ago and Dawson really fought the change. He wanted Elyas put into the girl's room. His arguments ranged from "They're girls mom! They know how to do the baby thing so well!" to "I had to deal with the twins -- I think I've already paid my dues." All his wheedling fell on deaf ears, though, and Elyas was transitioned into the boy's room. Dawson handled it with his usual grace. Once he realizes he has lost the battle, Dawson tends to be very accepting of whatever is occurring next.

Last week, Dawson shared with me how much he enjoys sharing a room with Elyas. I was washing dishes, folding laundry, or something equally tied down to one place and he wandered in and just began chatting. D doesn't always need an active conversation and is quite good at handling himself monologue-style.

"I am so glad Elyas is in the boy's room, mom. He calls to me in the morning. You know how he says my name? He calls me 'Daw' and when he wants my attention, he just calls out 'Daw! Daw!' I love how it feels to look over the edge of my bed and see him smiling up at me. He knows I'll always be there. He trusts me so much and yet I didn't do anything for him except just be there. You know? I'm just there and that is enough for him. It's pretty cool to think that I can't really let him down as long as I smile at him and serve him. It makes me think about what it must be like to be God. You know, He watches over us and we all just trust Him to take care of us. There really isn't anything there but this amazing trust, just like Elyas has with me. And I think God loves doing for me the same way I love doing for Elyas. Maybe that is what Jesus always means when he says we have to be like children. Not that we have to be babies or anything, but that we have to trust that God will just take care of us. It's really pretty cool and I feel lucky that I get to see it with Elyas. You know, most of my friends don't have a baby brother around any more. I feel kind of bad for them. Well, I see Tucker, so I'm going to get him back for that wedgie earlier. Bye mom!"

I watched my man-child leave the room, trying to ingest the sheer volume of wisdom he had just conveyed without realization. Really, all I could think at the moment was one word.

Wow.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Wow, INDEED! I love these little glimpses into your home and hearts!
You are doing a Marvelous Job, Tacy!!

Momma J said...

Wow! I'm amazed that you could recount all that! I am often reminded of Mary..."and she treasured up all theses things in her heart." Awesome!