Saturday, February 26, 2011

coffee again

When Elyas finally gave up nursing last month, it meant one wonderful thing in my life could return. Coffee. Any amount, any style, any temperature. For me, it just doesn't get any better.

I never mind reducing my caffeine intake when providing nourishment for a little one. Let's face it - drinking regular coffee after noon resulting in a wide awake, screaming baby on a caffeine rush is horribly not worth it. There is this little, exhausted body completely desiring sleep but my caffeine laden milk simply won't allow it. So, when we have a little one in the house, I have two cups of coffee in the morning and then stop.

Not so these days. I can drink it whenever I want and I am reveling in it! Of course, as the tendency to overindulge when you have been away from something for so long occurs, I took it a bit too far last Saturday. It wasn't until I was trying to text Scott (who was away on a trip with Shelby and Dawson) and realized my hands were trembling that I added up the sheer volume of coffee I had ingested. And entire pot and then some.  Yes, I enjoyed it. Yes, it was delicious. No, it wasn't good for me (obviously.)

And so, as with all things, moderation is returning after an overindulgence. I do enjoy the freedom to drink my coffee willy-nilly. But at some point I do have to be able to sleep.

No comments: