Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Rose By Any Other Name

Scott and I have been reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan since college. Somewhere along the line, I stopped reading the new books as they came out due to total lack of self-control and a houseful of kids needing a mom. But, as Scott was reading this summer, he asked my to please consider beginning the series again so we could manage to talk about it together.

So far, I'm on book 9 (out of 13 with one more to be published) and I am completely enjoying myself. It is a little mini-vacation every evening when the children are in bed, Scott is at work, and the washing machine, dishwasher, and dryer are merrily humming away.

However, one aspect of re-reading this series has thrown a wrench in our otherwise idyllic life here in Rutherford-dom. I discovered that we spelled Elias's name wrong.

I could let it go, but it really bothers me that we named him after a book series on purpose, yet couldn't be bothered to check the spelling. Not to mention that it doesn't really set the realm's best example for our homeschooled kids when they discover that mom and dad don't check either. Sigh.

We are in a family debate over whether to officially change Elias's name from Elias Cullen Dale to Elyas Cullen Dale. Part of me feels like we should just let it go. The kid's 15 months old, it isn't hurting anyone, and it will be a huge pain. Another part of me says we should just fix it.

Thoughts?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

How big of pain would it be? He doesn't know how to spell his name yet. If the name, being part of a series of books that you and Scott shared early in your relationship, was important enough that gave the name to your son, then maybe you should change it so it represents exactly what you and Scott had intended the name to represent. This is coming from someone that puts a lot into the significance of names and their origin, though. Either way, Elias will still be himself whether he is Elias or Elyas. Good luck!

Dawn said...

I vote to change the spelling... from someone who's maiden name was ALWYS spelled incorrectly, yet we named our son this same name (and spelling). just my thoughts... take it with a grain of salt (or a cinnamon roll)

Dawn said...

I spelled always wrong in post above... oops!

Eric said...

I, too, am re-reading the Jordan books and we seem to be keeping apace of one another. (Currently in ch. 7 of Winter's Heart.)

However, your entire problem could have been avoided if you had simply LISTENED to them like you do with the Harry Potter books! You would have continued to remain blissfully ignorant!

As to the misspelling, I say change it. If you're ever going to do it, now's the time. How hard could it possibly be?