Monday, October 4, 2010

Plan B Duex

We are involved in a new church plant in Exeter Township, Kainos. Our goals are authentic, genuine, inviting Christianity which makes a difference in one another's lives and the community. It has been fabulous and one of my favorite times is Sunday worship followed by a lunch together afterwards. Not everyone comes to lunch and while we do gather together more often then not, it's not an every Sunday thing. I truly enjoy the opportunity to extend our time of visiting while we eat a meal together. Everyone has to eat anyway, right?

Most of the meals are a coordinated effort with people signing up via email to bring various dishes. Occasionally, though, we get the green light to do an old fashioned pot luck, which basically translates into "Who knows what we'll eat but at least there will be food." I'm a big fan of the old-fashioned pot luck simply because I think it's a great adventure to eat such a jumble of foods. My favorite pot luck meal of all time involved a magic spell which possessed almost everyone to bring dessert. For such a sugar-fiend as myself, this was a dream come true. One health conscious spoiler had brought a gigantic salad which marred the occasion just a little, but otherwise it was paradise.

Yesterday was  pot luck, but on Saturday I learned that someone was ready to get rid of some corndogs out of the freezer, so they would comprise the main dish. Perfect - I could bring the Tater Tots in our freezer which are definitely NOT a part of our healthier eating life-style. (We did use organic ketchup, though -- does that help the health-o-meter?) Our entire family really enjoys corndogs, so we were pretty excited. In fact, one of the twins (I think it was Keats) thanked God for corndogs during his bedtime prayers Saturday night.

Imagine our dismay when we were all biting into our corndogs only to discover they were absolutely NOT the crunchy, soft, inviting state fair concoctions were were all expecting. Rather, they were rubberized sticks of grey meat covered by corn rocks. Drat. Freezer burn strikes again! Family being family, everyone had a good laugh as we tried to find ways to make the meal palatable. Some people did eat theirs, but most of us gave up after a few bites. Aidan ripped his corn rocks off and ate the hotdog and Abigail ate the corn bread. Myself, I didn't even finish chewing the one bite I managed to gnaw off.

Plan B involved all the extra desserts we were unable to sell at the weekly Farmer's Market the day before. Music to this sugar junkies ears - dessert for lunch. I did eat some fresh cut veggies and sliced tomatoes, but I really, really, really enjoyed my main dish of chocolate cake with vanilla and coconut icing.

No comments: