Friday, July 9, 2010

Waves in Motion

I was at the pool this morning watching all of the children in their various pursuits. Shelby, who had just completed her 90 minute practice, was heading to the shower to de-chlorine her hair. Dawson had completed his 90 minutes of swimming and was just beginning 60 minutes of diving. Isabelle, using her signature pencil-dive entry, was just beginning her 60 minutes of swim practice. Tucker was wheedling the coach into letting him practice with the "9 & 10's so I don't get rusty!" even though he is supposed to take Fridays off for his little body to get some rest. Keats, Aidan, and Abigail were Three-Musketeering it at the playground, which is located just down a little grassy knoll from the pool. And Elias was crawling, toddling, and being carried by any swimmer who's eye he could catch. He has completely wrapped the entire team around his finger and they each take turns playing, carrying, and snuggling with our E.

Fridays at the pool are utterly different. Monday through Thursday there is so much purpose. All of the officers are scattered with their laptops, drawing up schedules, papers, sign-ups, and whatever else they do to be important. Moms and dads come and go in their work clothes to check in on progress, sign up for invitationals, and encourage their wet offspring while occasionally admonishing for more respect for the coach. Meltdowns occur with some regularity as one swimmer is pushed a bit too hard or a back-dive goes horribly wrong.

Fridays, however, are like the casual day at the office to the extreme. Officers show up in their swim wear and lounge in beach chairs with juice boxes and water bottles, although they are held in such a way to conjure visions of  Margarita and beers. Parents stroll around and watch, laughing with one another as they share their upcoming weekend plans. Kids compare notes on who will be back at the pool and when for the weekend. 500 meter drills are replaced with Fun Friday Relays. And laughter is heard everywhere.

Truly, my Monday is pretty much the same as my Friday and every day in between. I wear my standard summer uniform - jeans, t-shirt, and a ball cap with a pony-tail pulled through. Really, only my footwear fluctuates and even then it's only between flip-flops, Tevas, Crocs, or my beloved Keds. I find it interesting to watch the morphing from the standard through the week into Friday. You can actually see the tension has drained out of everyone for Friday. Why is that? Nothing much has changed. We're still sitting around a pool we can't go in watching our children swim from one end of the pool to the other and back again. Repeat as needed. What is it about Fridays which makes everyone feel so relaxed?

I learned today that I have been given an official title. I am the "Event Scribe." Translation - I am the parent who writes the kids' event numbers on their arms using a Sharpie. As the average meet has 60 events, it is helpful to just look at your child and say, "Show me your arm so I know when you're supposed to be in the water, please." And, since we have four children swimming this year and they are in 3 - 4 events each, having arms to look at is infinitely easier than listening for their name to be called. Informing me of my new title (which Scott shares, by the way) was the only bit of business accomplished today. Otherwise, it was just a lot of laughter and juice box/margarita drinking.

We came home to bake 32 loaves of bread for tomorrow's farmer's market, completing two days worth of schooling (the kids are really enjoying doubling up on lessons on Friday so they can take Saturday off,) and getting Shelby packed for her week away at Camp Manatawny. It was a busy afternoon, but I found myself remembering the easy, carefree attitude that our Friday morning at the pool was surrounded by and I found myself just sort of gliding through each task at hand. I didn't have a juice box in hand, but my water seemed to go down a bit smoother.

I admit, I don't really understand the Friday attitude. But I really enjoyed the after-effects today. It was almost as if you could hear the island music playing wherever you went. Unfortunately, that same music is now beckoning me to end my relaxing Friday by getting some sleep. I wonder if I will be able to wake up in the morning having retained some of Friday's magic. Or, will it be all used up until the next Friday rolls around?

No comments: