Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Man-Child

I accept it. I'm just a weird cookie. I blame my parents. And all of those influential people people they put in my life. So really, it's not my fault at all. I'm weird because they made me that way. The normal, expected mom-reactions seem to elude me, which is just one facet of my weirdness.

Tonight we put our second oldest on an airplane in order to enable him to fly 1,000 miles away from us for two weeks. Did I do the traditional mom thing and cry over my baby growing up? Nope. I watched him standing against the pre-boarding wall all slouched and bored looking with his back-pack slung onto his shoulders and realized something. He isn't a boy any longer. He is officially my man-child. Standing there, I saw my brother Ryan all over again. Same facial expression, same posture, same air of indifference while waiting for the excitement to commence, same sense of reserving the energy until there is a reason to spend it.

I am officially working myself out of a job with this man-child of mine and his woman-girl older sister. My influential time with them both is shrinking. It is time for me to begin scaling back my opinions and thoughts in order to watch their wings begin to spread. To take on more of an advisory roll than the more comfortable role of dictator. Who knew this moment would arrive after a mere blink of an eye? As I stood there looking at my brother recycled, I felt the first stirrings of confidence that we CAN do this next phase of life, and do it well.

After all, not only are the same people who made me weird still around, we've added to their numbers. Our adults-in-the-making don't stand a chance.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Wow! How profound. We don't think about such things when we pursue motherhood, or do we! I am reminded of a verse in In John 12:24, when Jesus, speaking of Himself, said that "unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains a single grain". For as long as I can remember, my won mother has modeled Christ to me andmy siblings by daily, moment by moment, year after year, laying her life down for God and her family — and Christ has taken those countless sacrifices and turned them into wonderfully productive fruit.

Thank you Lord Jesus for the Hope that we have of
raising our children to serve You.

tacy said...

Oh my, Dawn! Talk about profound!!

May God continue to shine through your efforts with you sweet little popcorn!