Thursday, April 8, 2010

Sick & Tired of Being Sick & Tired

I have learned these past few months that I despise using the thermometer, I hate having to use our Little Green Machine so often, and that I think throw-up bowls are disgusting.

Sure, the above list would probably get a hearty thumbs-up from just about everyone, but my reasons are much more sound than a "just because." I am just so tired of us being sick & tired. Today, I got a call from someone near and dear to us dealing with Strep Throat and there is a good chance we were exposed over Easter. Of course, I feel badly for the other family because who really wants to have strep? Besides, I'm not totally self-absorbed. Just moderately so, since the very next thought I had was "OH NO!! NOT US TOO!!!!" I did manage to ask of we could help in any way, but after we were off the phone I called the pediatrician's office to see if we should be seen immediately or wait for the inevitable symptoms.

I did the next responsible thing on our "Etiquette for the Sick & Tired" and informed the host family of a birthday party we were scheduled to attend on Saturday about our situation. The reply? "Perhaps we'll get together sometime in May." (In all fairness, they are leaving town to travel, so May is the soonest we can swing a visit.) So, lemonade from lemons means our weekend is a little less busy now. That's always a good thing, isn't it? C'mon - help me out here!

And in true bacterial-infection-realm, the possibility of a very contagious round of ick has come at the start of what was promising to be a very fun weekend. The girls are scheduled for a sewing lesson tomorrow afternoon and we have ball game tickets for tomorrow night. Obviously our Saturday is a little less busy since we are officially unwelcome at the birthday festivities, but we can still prepare our fine, French meal. There is worship Sunday morning which will find Scott giving the lesson followed by a picnic lunch in a great backyard full of tons of stuff for the kids to do. Not to mention our weekly trip to the dairy farm to purchase our delicious raw milk, during which we check out new baby chicks and calves, run with the dog, and feed the chickens. And one positive swab for strep will simply wipe it all away as effectively as a nuclear bomb.

Drat. It hurts when I swallow. That's bad, isn't it?


No comments: