Monday, January 30, 2012

wii monday

I find the inner workings of the testosterone influenced mind to be a continuous puzzle. There are many daily choices and desicions which completely befuddle me. And in our land of 6 v 4, there is plenty of opportunity to ponder this difference.

Now, please understand that I am very much a viva la difference gal. I like that Scott and I bring such different views to our mutual life. We make each other stronger by our diversity than we could ever be if we approached things the same. I'm okay with the daredevil antics which landed Dawson with a mild concussion as long as he leaves me out of it. Scott is usually game for an all out wrestle fest with himself in the middle of the action.

But there are consistent behaviors which puzzle me completely. For instance, any day of the week will find the little boys asleep until 6:30 or so while Dawson will reluctantly enter the land of the awake only after much prodding, poking, cajoling, or (worst case scenario) when Scott's stern, booming voice cuts through the nonsense once he arrives home.

That is, any day but Monday.

Monday is our Saturday. It's the one day of the week most of us are home and awake without commitments. And so, in place of Saturday morning cartoons (which was a beloved memory from both Scott's and my childhoods) we have Monday morning Wii. And what I find incredible is that without alarms, roosters, sunlight, ice cubes, or any assistance whatsoever, the average Monday morning wake up in the boys room is usually 5:30. For ALL of them.

I'll come down for coffee to find five boys in pjs and sleep mussed hair sitting before the soft glow of the tv, clutching remotes, and planning strategies. Their chores are complete without any reminders required. There is no thought of food, bathroom, or mouthwash. Instead there is an contented intensity directed at Mario and his chums.

The girls have chosen to spend this time sleeping in which is followed by breakfast and then their individual pursuits: sketching (Isabelle), working on photography (Shelby), or whatever suits her fancy at he time (Abigail). After a while, the girls will trickle in and begin rotating into the games.

Tomorrow, we'll be back to business as normal when it comes to waking up the boys. They'll drag themselves down the stairs, grumble that they're hungry, do their chores under duress, and in general be grouchy until their coffee kicks in. And if I bring up how cheerful and easily they functioned Monday morning and wonder why they're having such trouble now, they'll look at me like I'm from the moon, shake their heads, and go back to their drooling state.

I just don't get it.

1 comment:

CookingMommaofThree said...

LOVE it.... We totally understand.