Sunday, November 13, 2011

accidental eating

Keats: "Mom! Abigail snuck a cookie!"

self: "Keats, did you see her eat the cookie?"

Keats: "No, I just saw the bin open."

self: "Then you don't know if Abigail even ate a cookie."

Keats: "Yes-huh! She smells like cookie!"

self: "But you don't know for certain, so you can't come in accusing your sister. You can, however, say you suspect that Abigail ate a cookie."

Keats: "Ok."

self: "I'll ask Abigail, though. Will that seem just to you?"

Keats: "Yes, if I can witness."

self: "Okay. Sure. Abigail!" [Abigail comes trip-trapping down the hall.]

self: "Abigail, did you eat a cookie?"

Abigail: "Yes. But I didn't sneak. I simply forgot to ask permission before I ate it. And now, it is in my belly, so I can't give it back. I'm so sorry mom."

Keats: "May I have a cookie, then?"

self: "Well, I guess you may each have a cookie."

Abigail: "Me too?"

self: "No, Abigail. You already ate a cookie. You told me so yourself."

Abigail: "But that was an accidental eating! It shouldn't count!"

self: "Totally counts. Sorry, Ab."

[Abigail sobs uncontrollably  and heads for the stairs, her go-to place when perceived injustice occurs.]

2 comments:

Laurie S said...

And I thought this blog was going to be about the almost ingesting of random drinks at the playground yesterday!!

tacy said...

And we both know it could have been!