Friday, September 9, 2011

little english

One of my favorite two-year-old developments is listening to their vocabulary grow as they speak words in the utterly charming, lilting voice only a two-year old has.

Elays speaks some words which are remarkably clear, such as: yes, sword, punch, signing time, watch, Shelby, daddy, mommy, please, no thank you, Abigail, apple, banana, have it, buckle me. And the one I wish he'd never learned: gimme.

Others require a very intimate knowledge of the inner workings of Elyas's vocabulary to figure out. And of course, these are my favorites. I have always loved hearing our littlest ones trying so very hard to tell us what it is they want, even before they can wrap their little mouths around the complicated sounds.

pin-pin-yus and feerrb = "Phineas and Ferb"
Bee-low = Isabelle
Elyassshhh = Elyas
yout-seed = outside
meeelk = milk
Chippie = Mr. Chip
orangsh = orange
lipping! = I'm slipping!
crebible = The Incredibles (a favorite)
housh = house
hole jew? = Will you hold me?
Dawsh = Dawson
pleene = trampoline
Keetsy n Ayedeen = Keats and Aidan
Binamin = Benjamin


I think one of the reasons I treasure the efforts which fall short is because I know only to well just how fast they will be a distant memory. In the blink of an eye he'll be asking to watch Phineas and Ferb with Isabelle when we get to the house. And I can't ever bring myself to regret the change, because watching each of these precious kids grow is such a joy.

But in the meantime, I will relish in the translation-required-speaking of our Elyas.

3 comments:

Laurie S said...

I totally agree...it took us two weeks to figure out who Josiah was praying for every night...his frens in the ed hos (friends in the red house) Keets and Aydin.

tacy said...

I really love that they are such good friends! When we were all at Camp on Sunday and Josiah came through the door, all of their faces lit up at seeing one another.

Dawn said...

i loved reading this... been super busy and unable to see your posts for some time now. Hope all is well! Cherish every second!