Sunday, July 24, 2011

huh

I was recently referred to a link for a blog of another large, homeschooling family in a similarly smaller home. As I was skimming some of the posts, I found myself nodding along and thinking: of course - why wouldn't you do it that way? Most of her comments on the hows of a bigger family simply struck me as common sense no-brainers.

But upon reading through her myriad of comments, I realized that what I saw as common sense, several others were noticing for the first time. Which now has me wondering: how many people look at our family and wonder how?

Just this last week as we were cheering on some of the children in the pool during their meet, one of the moms turned to me and said: "I just have to ask. Where on earth do you all sleep?" I chuckled and replied that we have triple bunk beds. Immediately, eight other moms turned toward me and said something akin to: "Oooohhhh. I see."

I find myself trying to watch our normal through new eyes in order to see what everyone else sees. Our life is so routine to us that we really don't find much to be amazed at. Yet, perhaps it is time to spend a little time sharing the how.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

More than sparrows... said...

I would be very interested to hear how you do it more from a mom who admires how you instill values into your children, and less from a whoa is that a bunch of kids! point of view.
I love hearing your stories just because y'all remind me of a modern version of the Waltons. :) I love that. I just want my kids to grow up as healthy, happy and close as yours do.

Mom said...

Developing character and instilling values is so much more important than a large house and other 'things'. I admire you and Scott for doing that with your children. A love for God and His WORD is essential. Having your own bedroom is not...just my thinking here.