Saturday, May 14, 2011

rainy day

I adore waking up to a grey, overcast sky. To me, it is such a cozy feeling to be enveloped in the murky light, to be forced to use lamps in the middle of the day, and to have an excuse to put off any and all errands we can in order to stay inside.

Today, we left home only because a concert pianist was at Camp Manatawny and, as opportunities to hear classical piano live for free are few and far between, there is no way I was going to skip it. But since we've been home, we have read chapters of The Penderwicks, snacked on bell peppers and hummus, watched The Tale of Desperaux, enjoyed some group Zumba, indulged in waffle cones stuffed with ice cream, and are now in the throws of preparing to watch Harry Potter 7: Part 1.

Snowy days are wonderful, but they are not relaxing as there are 8 children to help get into snow gear and then 8 children to help get out of their snow gear and then 8 sets of wet snow gear to deal with while simultaneously filling chilly bodies with hot cocoa. Don't get me wrong -- it is a lot of fun. But it is also a lot of work.

Rainy days mean no one wants to go outside. We're not really the splashing in puddles kind of fam. We are more the eat as simply as possible and stay cozy inside the dry house kind of crew. And I love it. A rainy day is my mom-version of a snow day when I was a kid. I would really struggle if we ever moved to Portland. I would think I was "off" all the time.

One of the kids just came over and asked if we could have popcorn for dinner. Popcorn for dinner? Sure, why not. 

3 comments:

Mom said...

Why not indeed! These are amazing memory making moments (3-M)! We used to have strawberry shortcakes for dinner when the first strawberries came in. They still talk about it!

tacy said...

Bonnie - I adore that idea! I may just have to steal it for next year. :)

Laurie S said...

also stealing it...Jon has been waiting and asking and waiting and asking when are the GOOD strawberries coming in? You said Spring! (soon we will drive to Morgantown to the Amish Farm who grows them the BEST!)