Friday, November 19, 2010

Mid-Potter

Scott and I have been harry Potter junkies since the first book came out. We love everything about it from the individual & unique characters to the plot development. In particular, though, I have to admit I am just a huge fan of very good verses very bad. I like knowing who to root for.

Last night, Scott & I took our three oldest to the midnight showing of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1." We wore the Quidditch robes and the sorting hats. We cheered as the lights darkened with all the other Potter junkies (our community's head librarian was just a few rows behind us) and watched this first public showing of the final Harry Potter book unfold before our eyes. We gasped at the right places, jumped along with everyone else, and cringed at the choices our favorite Hogwarts students had to make. When the credits began to roll, we joined the collective moan that the entire room gave out. We would have happily sat through an additional 2 hours and 40 minutes. Of course, we always go see a Potter film twice for Scott. He needs the first viewing to get over his disappointment with the changes made to the book, and the second watching to enjoy the movie as is. I am already anticipating seeing it again.

This particular Potter book has a special place in our hearts. Scott went to buy a copy at the midnight release and brought it home along with a gigantic poster of the book cover which you only received at the midnight release. He described the scene as being out of a movie you would never believe -- people lined up, snaking their way down the shopping strip and into the parking lot waiting hours for a book. And as the doors opened and people were allowed in, the lines began reversing as people began sitting on the curb side-by-side reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

I began reading at 6:00 the next morning. The kids ate pizza all day and I remember being thrilled I had the pizza delivery numbers in my phone so I didn't even have to look anything up and instead could order while reading. I lounged about very pregnant with Abigail reading, reading, reading. I completed the book around 2 am, sighed contentedly and went to sleep. Of course, I had to start reading it again immediately. Which is why we quickly had two copies of Harry Potter 7 in our home - because Scott wasn't about to wait for me to read it through a second time.

We had the audio book read by Jim Dale loaded on the iPod by that weekend and we picked Shelby up from her week of Camp Manatawny and rushed her home for a quick shower. Then we simply drove and drove and drove. We drove as much as humanly possible during the next few days so we could all listen to the book. The twins were two at the time, so reading aloud when they were awake was challenging. We moved their car seats to the back of the van so they could jabber away happily and the rest of us just listened together as the final chapter of a very beloved story unfolded.

I have loved watching these stories become a part of our children's lives and our family's history. I have enjoyed the sense of anticipation that built when each new book was nearing release. And eventually, it became the sense of excitement as a movie was about to open. I have loved listening to our children make decisions about outside activities based on whether or not we'll be reading a good book aloud they won't want to miss. I love listening to the whines of: "We need to find a new series of books to read!" We didn't start reading the Harry Potter books because we knew they would be this remarkable gateway into a love of reading together as a family, but I am utterly grateful that is what occurred.


Truly, I appreciate JK Rowling's books just for her ingenious storytelling - the woman is a master. But I love her books for the relationship with books she brought to our kids. To borrow a phrase from Ron:

Brilliant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It has been difficult for me to be in a Christian community that for the most part does not embrace Harry Potter. I am not entirely hardcore, but I remember starting it when it came out and I was in fifth grade. Then making a diorama in sixth grade of the first book with paper-mache, dental floss, and a clump of old dog fur. Then I got to college and my roommate for the entire 4 years was more obsessed than I ever was and managed to take the Harry Potter seminar her freshmen year.
I remember a sermon happening on Harry Potter in the hay day of Shillington, but I can't really remember the outcome. I just know that my mom bought me the book and she loved that I loved to read. (My mom was originally drawn to the story because she heard on the news how J.K. Rowling got her start and how the book got popular just through word-of-mouth.)
So I've felt really odd while teaching at an elementary school and being the most excited one for this story to come out in the theatre. The few kids I asked looked at my blankly in regards to seeing the movie during thanksgiving break. So there is still this christianity vs. magic thing going in most homes. But I like how you put it (and how I heard my current headmaster put it with regards to Pokemon cards recently). It's all about Good vs. Evil.
"What sanctifies it (Harry Potter, Pokemon, etc.) for a child is the story that's being told, and who the child identifies with in the story."

Thankfully I still have a community of college friends making their way out here in the bankrupt state. And THEY are pumped about seeing the movie with me today.

P.S. Thank you for not spoiling the movie in this post. I almost didn't read it, but I figured you would use more discretion than that. I was correct! Love you

Dawn said...

Tacy- I was thrilled to see that Shelby is reading Bronte! But I fel kind of old, in my mind she is about 7 years old.

Love you so much- Dawn