Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday the 13th, Rutherford Style

Today, being Friday the 13th, has always been one of those "special days" in the calendar which we anticipate. I honestly don't know the reason Friday the 13th is supposed to be unlucky. I guess I never really cared enough to add that information to my stores of useless trivia knowledge.

This year, though, Friday the 13th means Elias's first birthday. How fun is it that every 6 years or so our boy gets to have a completely bad luck birthday party? At least, those were the original plans this year. We were going to have ladders leaning against the walls to walk under, salt on every table, black cats peering out everywhere, broken mirrors along the food table and cracks to walk over. I loved the idea of celebrating a year of firsts among every superstition we could think of. I'm just not sure why it appealed to each of us so much. It could be more of that weird Rutherford living showing again.

However, our plans were dashed when we realized that most of the family would be gone doing their own things this evening and so we decided to move the celebration to Sunday. It only makes sense when you realize that the best part of a first birthday party is the entire cake-eating/wearing display. So today was supposed to be a normal Friday the 13th. Clean some bathrooms, bake some bread, pack a kid for Camp Manatawny. I guess I should say it's a normal summer Friday. But, like most good Rutherford days, this one had a twist.

Aidan's cast was due to come off today. I took all the Little Rutherfords (minus Dawson who is already at Camp this week) with me to the Orthopedist. We all filed in one at a time to the office and I heard several of the nurses counting under their breath. "One, two, three, four . . ." As this was not my first experience with the whispered counting, I was completely prepared for the inevitable.

"Are they all yours?"

"Nope. I picked up some random kids to bring with me to the doctor's office. A broken arm wasn't a interesting enough. We had to add to the drama."

I wish. What I really said was, "Yes, they're all ours." Totally polite, yet boring, answer.

Anyway, we were all sitting in this large room equipped with one exam table, one chair, and one spinning stool I immediately declared off limits. We managed to find a place for everyone just as a nurse came in and called out in a chipper voice. "Are you ready, Aidan?"

Aidan, trusting soul that he is, smiled politely and said, "Yes ma'am." Immediately, he looked at me and whispered, "Ready for what?"

I had no idea. This is our first foray into broken bones and Scott had made the initial visit to the Ortho's office. I was about to inquire what was next when I heard a nice, loud whirring noise. Gulp. I know what that means. I may have never seen it done, but I had heard stories about the saws of death used to remove casts so I was pretty sure I now knew exactly what was next.

I turned expectantly, waiting for her to calmly explain to Aidan what was about to happen. Boy, was that the exact opposite of what happened! Just as I turned, the nurse was lifting Aidan's arm and beginning to saw away without a single word. Aidan, who is easily the calmest Rutherford in the bunch, sat very still while his eyes became the size of dinner plates. He and I both stared, dumbfounded, as she continue to move the miniature saw of death with convenient vacuum attachment over Aidan's arm. Then, just for good measure, she flipped his arm over and did it again!

Okay - no blood and I'm sure it's a pretty easy finishing job from here. Right? Nope. Next came the gigantic clamps of death, which were used to pry the razored cast open. Aidan's eyes were now bugging out of his head. Okay. That was surprising, but I'm sure we're finished now. Right? Nope. Next came the gigantor scissors used to cut the knit lining inside the cast off. Aidan's eyes just popped right out of their sockets and dangled down his cheeks. Not really, but his eyes were wide enough they could have popped out. And now . . . it was finished.

We did have a couple of x-rays to go before we were allowed to get our lollipops and leave. And this time, I took a lolly too.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I've had some interesting Doctors' office visits, but this takes the cake. The nurse must have been absent the day they taught informed consent! Ha! Glad Aidan came through like a little man. Love to all of you... Blaine says kisses to the girls, too!
--Dawn