Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Zoom -- Was That Thanksgiving I just Passed?

It is actually Wednesday - the Wednesday after Thanksgiving, to be precise. Really? Where did that week go? Ryan and Laura were here, we spent extra time with Jenna, Aaron, Sadie and even a day with Trinity and Sam. Thanksgiving was a nice, casual day with all our favorite people - Chip and Kathy, Alex, Dylan, the Marshalls, the Dubachs and Dubachs, and us. It really didn't feel like it flew by, but before we knew it, we were having one last brunch with Laura before she caught the plane to go to her folks house. Too fast.

We used to have Thanksgiving and then the next day we pulled all the Christmas bins and boxes from the attic and started festooning the house. Not this year. We told the kids we needed at least a week in between Thanksgiving and decorating. Don't get me wrong - I love Christmas. I love the lights, the coziness, the smell of the fresh-cut tree, the cold. But this year has just been too fast. I think both Scott and I knew we needed a week in between to simply slow down how fast it feels everything is going. I know it won't really slow down the time, but it is helping mentally to ease the pace.

I often wonder if we are the only ones who feel this rush of time, or if we are simply two out of many. Shelby will be 14 in just 3 short months. Yet I remember so clearly feeling her moving inside me before she was born. Does my mother look at my 36 year old self and feel the same?

Ahh, Elias's swing needs to be reset again. Another 5 minutes are gone. Just like that.

No comments: