Thursday, September 24, 2009

It's been a long time


Today, September 24, finds our home drastically changed.

Elias, baby number eight, joined us on August 13. Of course, in true Rutherford tradition, he felt the need to find out for himself just what all the fuss about the NICU is, so he arranged for a nine-day stay. His was by far the most calm of the NICU visits, but it still made for some interesting juggling as Scott and I managed our seven healthy ones at home and our precious new one in the hospital. And, unlike past NICU visits, this one was done almost entirely on our own, without the help we have always been so blessed by in the past.

However, he is home and a very pudgy 6-weeks old today. Although, on a phone message today in my lack-of-sleep state, I insisted that he was actually 6 months old. Ahhh, why is it my vocabulary is what goes once I become tired? He is currently sleeping in his swing, although noises are starting to waft over from his direction, so my time may be limited here.

And, I no longer have Nox to blame all of the items gone wrong in my day. He was, sadly, struck by a car shortly before Elias was born. Shelby spied his poor body on her way to worship and begged Scott to stop the car. Scott called me to let me know, since I was home with a feverish Abigail, that Nox had died and he had moved his body to the side of the road until after worship. Now, I understand that he is a pet and I certainly wasn't a big fan of his, but this just wasn't the right answer. And I didn't hesitate to let Scott know I didn't agree with the choice. He quickly amended his position, turned our 15-passenger van around, and came back for Nox.

I should state that we were experiencing one of the most torrential rainstorms of our summer that day. I think it would be safe to say that Scott received his second shower of the day.

Scott brought Shelby, Dawson, and Tucker home with Nox (Isabelle was at Camp Manatawny) and we sat around in mourning while waiting for Scott to return home from worship with the twins. Once he did come home, Scott (being the amazing man he is) proceeded to dig the perfect grave site for Nox. First, he dug up Nox's favorite place to lay when he was in the front yard - a large spreading of Spring Snow -- and then dug a 3 foot deep hole underneath. After the funeral service, the children threw flowers on top of Nox's towel draped body and then helped to spread the dirt back over him. Finally, Scott replaced the plant where it had been originally. Shelby placed a granite marker next to the plant and Dawson and I weeded the front flower bed so Nox was in a tidy place. Scott returned to the shower to wash off the sweat which was literally dripping from his body.

And now, I need to update the children's school logs as well as force my body into some much needed Pilates moves. Here's hoping it isn't months before the next posting . . .

No comments: